Monday, April 16, 2012

Creating a Mod

Hi,

I'm new to modding, but there is one specific mod I would love to create for me, my gf, and guildmates that I would otherwise have to pay for. The mod is an In-Game Leveling guide, iDemise offers one, but I am not going to pay for something that should be free to begin with, A way to make money off of the used! I have seen a few guides I would love to copy and paste their information and put it into the In-Game Leveling Guide that would eliminate the hassle of alt+tabing on a PVP server (in the middle of doing a quest and while alt+tabbed I get one shotted ) thus would also improve leveling time while eliminating the alt+tab to IE or Firefox. It would go something like:

Main Page:

Alliance Leveling Guide 1-12

[Dranei] [Dwarf] [Gnome] [Human] [Night Elf]

Alliance Leveling Guide 12-70

[12-20] [21-30] [31-40] [41-50] [51-60] [61-70]

Horde Leveling Guide 1-12

[Blood Elf] [Orc] [Taurin] [Troll] [Undead]

Horde Leveling Guide 12-70

[12-20] [21-30] [31-40] [41-50] [51-60] [61-70]

where "[ ]" is a button that will take you to that part of the leveling guide.

The reason I have split this up is that, for one that each race has a quick 1-12 leveling quests and no need for any help, but each button you push would give the "How-to's" and the locations of each, also would give what talents/spells you get at each level. Of course I would break them into two seperate mods once this is complete, one for the Alliance Server we play on and the other would be for the Horde server we play on.

When each button is clicked it will open a new window and close out recent window, or like a book change the page. With a prev/next button on the bottom, if it were i.e. Night Elf Druid, you would click Night Elf > get lvl 12 click next > Goes to the part of the guide that would follow suit, or Click 21-30 > get lvl 30 click next takes you to 31-40 and so forth. With a check box next to each tasks, so that if you had to log off for some reason whether it be wife, kids, mom & dad, friends, parties whatever you can look at where you left off.Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Lithorical lvl 37 Rogue Night Elf|||Sorry didn't see the edit button :-/ this was a reply to earlier but can't figure out how to delete this reply.|||Ok so I got my first form started with the text above stated, now I just need to find two things, 1) how to make the buttons go to the specified target form, and 2) how to add the text to the form as a scrolling html (kind of how the quest npc's log show up).|||TourGuide and a couple of similar mods already have most of this covered, and they're fully interactive so they will detect your current location and detect quest pickups/handins as you go, etc.|||Sorry for not getting back ASAP had hurricane Ike ravage the area/ lost power / no internet / blah blah blah, you know the same old story just new faces/names....

Anyways, I have seen those guides, but they are different in a few aspects from the guide i'm currently following, I want to take the guide I am following and make that into an add-on. It would be kind of pointless to start at another guides lvl 44 when some of the quests are either follow-ups or half way through other quests (you can get lost on picking up the peices). Essentially I will be taken the walkthrough and placing it into my addon folder with it being specific to my guilds needs/wants. We all follow the same guide! I don't want/need to make it where it autodetects, I can place check boxes next to each quest and each person can update it themselves. This isn't a fanciful kind of mod just a standard get-r-done mod!

Thanks for any other help.|||Well TourGuide has the framework you need, why re-write it? You could just write a plugin/module for TG that covers the quests you want it to.

And I guess I'm not really sure what you're asking for, was this thread just for feedback on the idea or you want someone to make it for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment