Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Reviving the dead

Hello, I'm fairly new to developing WoW addons and was wondering is there is an effective way to bringing an old, dead addon back to life.

Would it be best to just load the addon up and just follow the errors back and start from there? I do realize some addons cannot be resurrected because of API changes and updates and what not.

I could try creating the addon from scratch but like I said, I'm fairly new to this and I thought maybe reviving an old addon would help me get familiar with the lua and xml layouts and commands.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!|||It varies a lot, there's so single easy way to fix all old addons. Fixing errors one by one will work in some simple cases but in others a full rewrite is needed, and it might not be immediately obvious which of these is the case unless you have a decent knowledge of the API.|||Well the addon/s about a year old...has there been major changes since then? I know 2.4 came out and I believe 2.3 since then...|||Which mod is it? Maybe a currently supported mod can do relatively the same thing?|||There are 3 that did a similar thing I'd like to imitate. Easy Master Loot, Adv Roller, and RollCall.|||Quote:




Well the addon/s about a year old...has there been major changes since then?




Yes, there have been a lot of changes in the last year. Do they affect the specific mod you're looking at? Maybe. The fact is that it's just not as simple as you'd like it to be.|||Haha damn...not what i wanted to hear... Okay then... other suggestions on where to start with making addons? I can do a simple coordinates thing but thats about it... so where to?|||Wowwiki has most of the API, there's why I've picked bits up from. If you have a basic knowledge of programming you should be able to put things together by finding the right events/functions/templates and putting it altogether. Though to be ho nest the most complicated thing I've made has been ~30 lines so I'm not an expert.|||What about a debugger? I know some addons come with them. Noob question here but... Is there a universal debugger? and if so will it do more than just tell me an error I can get from an improved error frame in WoW?|||Not really, I always just added my own debug code.

No comments:

Post a Comment