Saturday, April 21, 2012

Chat Throttling Question...

As I understand it, the new 2.3 chat throttling limits are something like 10 messages every ten seconds, correct? So you can send ten lines at once so long as you wait ten seconds before sending the next batch.

I have an addon that (is supposed to) report missing buffs in raid/party/whatever chat. One at a time is no problem, but trying to use the "report" function, which sends out five lines in one fell swoop, doesn't always work. Reporting to a custom channel works fine, but it gets throttled in raid or party chat.

Am I wrong about the throttling mechanics?|||My understanding is the same as yours regarding the 10/10 sec rule but I thought raid/party chat was exempted. But I haven't tested any of that.|||I thought that too, Jumpy, but then my first line prints and nothing else:(|||Iriel posted this in the Blizz UI and mods forum.


Quote:




* Each chat channel is limited separately, at a rate of 10 messages in 10 seconds. This means that you can send one message every second without ever seeing delays, or a burst of 10 messages every 10 seconds without seeing delays. Messages that exceed this rate are not dropped, but simply delayed in order until they can be sent. (This does not affect SendAddonMessage() or party/raid/guild chat. )




But I did not see anything about this in the patch notes. So either it was not properly implemented, or what he said was incorrect, or something is wrong with your code(?).|||It is always possible something is wrong with my code:) but it worked fine pre-2.3, so that's not my first thought. Also, it works fine in self and custom channels. I'll check through it again, but I'm wondering if chat throttling is not completely fixed yet...|||Maybe you should post the question on the Blizzard UI forums.|||Thanks Jumpy, but I did post there with no luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment